Are you looking to add color to your friend’s birthday gift or bring creativity to your table space? Homemade resin pens are one of the great options.
But how to make resin pens? From several swirls of color to the smooth, polished finish, we’ll show you how to create stunning pens that make a lasting impression.
Whether you’re a beginner or a seasoned artisan, get ready to explore your creativity and become skilled at making DIY resin pens.
Table of Contents
- Making Resin Pens With Molds
- Making Epoxy Resin Pens/ UVResin Pens/ Glitter Pens
- Troubleshooting And Tips
- Frequently Asked Questions
Making Resin Pens With Molds
- Resin pen kit/Pen blanks/Molds
- Mixed Resin
- Additives (optional): dried flowers, glitter, or mica powder.
- Ink refills of custom pens
- Mixing tools: mixing cups, stir sticks, and gloves for handling the resin.
Step 1: Fit the ink refill into the mold
There are small knobs in the mold where you can insert the refill. Push the refill into the knob. Ensure that it fits securely in place.
Step 2: Add decorative elements
- You can decorate pens with dried flowers, glitter, or mica powder. Arrange these tiny things to put in resin using tweezers.
- Be creative with the placement, but avoid sharp protrusions that could hinder pen usage.
Step 3: Pour the resin
- Wear your gloves and slowly pour the mixed resin into the pen blanks. Make sure to fill up the cavity.
- Gently tap or use a toothpick to remove air bubbles.
- Allow the resin to cure for around 24 hours.
Step 4: Attach the pen components
- Once the resin has fully cured, remove the pen blanks from the mold if applicable.
- Test the pen on paper to ensure it works properly.
Making Epoxy Resin Pens/ UVResin Pens/ Glitter Pens
- Gel pens (e.g., Paper Mate gel pens)
- A turner plus wood dowels, a tumbler spinner, and PVC pipe with pen holders
- Glitters in your desired colors
- Epoxy resin
- Epoxy or Adhesive for sticking the glitter
- Resin resist tape
- Respirator mask
Step 1: Remove gel pen components
- Take apart the pens and place the internal parts in a ziplock bag to prevent loss.
- Use pliers or your fingers to twist and remove the pen clip.
- Use a sanding tool and sand down any raised parts on the pen shaft, creating a smooth surface.
Step 2: Apply resin resist tape
Insert a wood dowel into the barrel of the pen. Wrap a piece of resin resist tape around the wood dowel, positioning it so that the end of the pen will overlap the tape by about halfway.
Step 3: Apply adhesive
Apply a thin coat of adhesive to stick the glitter to the pens, starting from the middle and pushing the substance toward the edges. Avoid getting adhesive inside the pen shaft.
Step 4: Add glitter
Sprinkle glitter onto the adhesive-coated pens, creating your desired design. For multiple colors or an ombre effect, mix and add glitter to resin accordingly.
Step 5: Let the pens dry
Place the glittered pens on a turner to dry for a few hours, allowing the adhesive to set.
Step 6: Apply epoxy resin
- Apply a coat of epoxy resin or UV resin over the pens, starting with lighter colors to prevent color transfer. If you have molds, pour epoxy resin in molds to create a thick pen cover.
- Let them spin dry for approximately 8 hours. Carefully sand the pens to create a smooth finish.
Step 7: Put vinyl on pens (optional)
Cut out names or designs using permanent vinyl and adhere them to the liquid plastic resin pens. Remove the transfer tape carefully.
Troubleshooting And Tips
Common issues and solutions
- Air bubbles in the resin: Use a heat gun or torch to carefully remove air bubbles by waving them gently over the resin surface. Alternatively, you can pop the bubbles with a toothpick or a small needle.
- Uneven or streaky epoxy coating: Use a small foam brush to spread the resin evenly, avoiding excess pooling.
- Resin is not cured: Ensure thorough mixing of resin and hardener by scraping the sides of the cup and utensil while stirring.
- Cloudy or hazy finish: Mix the epoxy resin according to the instructions, as incorrect ratios can lead to a cloudy finish. Additionally, avoid working in humid conditions and make sure the resin is fully cured before handling.
Pro tips for resin pen making
- Wear appropriate protective gear to protect yourself from fumes and skin irritation.
- Plan your design and prepare the tools you’ll need in advance.
- Experiment with colors and effects (mix different glitters, pigments, or inks to create unique color combinations and effects).
- Take your time with curing because rushing the process can lead to imperfect finishes.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I Make Refillable Resin Pens?
Yes. To make refillable resin pens, you can follow the same instructions as making resin pens with a mold. However, put the pen barrel into the mold instead of a refill.
After the resin has cured, you can remove the pen barrel from the mold and insert the refill into the resin pen. Secure the refill by inserting the end into the barrel, ensuring it is properly fitted.
How To Make Epoxy Pens Without A Turner?
Yes, you can make epoxy pens without turner.
- You can use an old box and create poked holes in it. Turn the pen upside down and insert the resin pen into one of the holes.
- Allow the pen to dry in this position until the epoxy resin has fully cured.
- The holes in the box will help keep the pen upright and prevent it from rolling or moving during curing.
- Once the resin has hardened, you can remove the pen from the box and proceed with any necessary finishing touches.
What Are The Best Pens To Use For Epoxy Resin Art?
Sharpie paint pens, oil-based sets, and Molotow metallics are the best pens to use for epoxy resin. These pens provide excellent adhesion and vibrant colors, making them ideal for writing or drawing on epoxy surfaces.
What Is The Resin Pen Price?
On average, resin pen prices can range from a few dollars for basic designs to higher prices for more intricate or customized pieces.
You should check with specific retailers or online marketplaces to get an accurate price range for the resin pens you are interested in.
In conclusion, knowing how to make resin pens will offer enthusiasts a creative and rewarding experience.
Whether you make glitter pens or epoxy resin pens, adding decorative components for a touch of sparkle is possible.
With your interesting resin pen ideas and our easy resin pen crafting techniques, you can create personalized pens that are both functional and aesthetically pleasing.
Read more: How to make custom pens?
Art has always been a part of my life; it influences my upbringing and later my career choice. For me, it is always a part of my parenting technique. So for whichever purpose that you come to art, you can start here with us.