Did dry erase markers ruin stainless steel fridge? This incident is pretty common in homes with kids around.
I also saw some who use whiteboard marker on fridge to organize them, thinking that their fridges could work like a whiteboard.
But then later on, it’s getting tougher to remove all the stains. If you are already in this situation, in this article you will find some of the best ways on how to get dry erase marker off fridge effectively.
Table of Contents
Ways to Get Dry Erase Marker Off Fridge
Suppose you really want to organize your fridge. In that case, you can actually put up a small whiteboard or laminated film in front of it and use wet erase markers which you can easily wipe off with a moist rag.
But before that, let us first deal with the dry-erase marker stains on your fridge using the following methods.
1. Rubbing Alcohol Method
Using pure alcohol and alcohol-based products for dry erase marker stain removal is one of the go-to methods.
Just make sure to use products with at least 70% solution to get the best results. Do note that alcohol is highly volatile and flammable. Always work in a well-ventilated area.
What to prepare
- Isopropyl Alcohol or hand sanitizer (with at least 70% alcohol)
- Clean rag
- Dry-erase marker
What to do
- Cover the old dry-erase marker stains using another dry-erase marker. Then, wipe them off with a clean cloth.
- Then, pour alcohol to soak the rag completely.
- Rub it on the fridge to clean off dry erase marker.
- Use a fresh rag or fold it and use the other side as you go along to avoid scattering the ink on the clean side of the fridge.
2. All-purpose Cleaner, Rubbing Alcohol, and Soft Scrub Method
This trio works well as a washable dry erase marker remover. It is also Crayola’s most recommended cleaning method for this particular type of marker.
What to prepare
- All-purpose cleaner
- Rubbing alcohol
- Soft scrub
- Cotton balls
What to do
- Wet the sponge and rub it on the dry-erase marker stain.
- For the remaining ink stains, spray enough all-purpose cleaner on the wet sponge and scrub to remove the ink.
- If still ink marks are left, pour rubbing alcohol on a cotton ball and dab away the ink marks.
- If the ink marks persist, apply Soft Scrub and wipe to remove the ink marks completely.
- Rinse using a clean wet towel.
How Do You Get Sharpie Off a Fridge Door?
1. Magic Eraser Method
- Get a magic eraser and make sure it’s dry. A dry magic eraser can remove the markings faster than when it is wet.
- Rub the dry magic eraser on the Sharpie markings.
- Give it some elbow grease until all stains are removed.
2. Sunscreen Method (Preferably Coppertone sunscreen aerosol type)
- Spray the sunscreen and target the area with Sharpie markings.
- Let it sit for a while and dissolve the ink first, prepare a clean rag in case it drips.
- When the ink starts to dissolve, wipe it with a clean paper towel.
3. Dry Erase Marker Method
- Using a clean rag, wipe clean the affected surface.
- Write over the Sharpie or the permanent marker markings, this time using the dry erase marker like Expo dry erase markers.
- Remove the Expo marker with the use of a whiteboard eraser. Notice that the permanent marker goes with it as the whiteboard eraser removes the dry-erase marker.
- Do this by portion until all marker stains are removed.
- This method may also remove old Expo marker stains and are applicable for removing permanent marker stains on stainless steel fridge or any stainless steel appliances.
What are the other methods for permanent markers from the fridge?
Another alternative you can try to clean dry erase marker is to use an oven cleaner. But before applying an oven cleaner, you would want to lighten the permanent marker stains first by rubbing a hand sanitizer on the stains.
Wipe it off with a clean rag. After that, spray the oven cleaner on the remaining stains. Let the cleaner sit and react with the stain for a while.
Using another clean rag to wipe off and get rid of the ink stains completely. If you are uncomfortable with the smell, wear a mask and maintain good airflow while working.
What are the other methods to remove ink from appliances?
The refrigerator is not the only appliance prone to ink stains, when that happens, you can always use the ink removal methods mentioned, as they may work with other appliances too.
However, there’s another effective way to remove ink stains on appliances. This is to use a brake parts cleaner, the aerosol spray type.
Just spray enough of it in a clean rag and wipe it over the part with ink stains. Reapply and wipe again if needed. Make sure that the area has good ventilation to avoid suffocation.
This method also works to remove whiteboard marker stains on your appliances.
With all the different ways on how to get dry erase marker off fridge, one thing is certain, removing marker stains on the fridge is doable.
Dry erase markers are easier to deal with. Alcohol is the least complicated and most effective method to clean dry erase marker off your fridge.
If you are dealing with a washable dry-erase marker multi-purpose cleaner, rubbing alcohol, and the soft scrub trio is the best way to do it.
A permanent marker stain is tougher. Better be prepared for a duel and choose from a magic eraser, sunscreen, or dry-erase marker as armor.
Art has always been a part of my life; it influences my upbringing and later my career choice. For me, it is always a part of my parenting technique. So for whichever purpose that you come to art, you can start here with us.