Three factors need to be considered to determine how long do Expo markers last. These are:
- How often the Expo marker is used.
- How the Expo marker is stored.
- Type of Expo marker.
According to Expo, their markers could last up to 3 years if the markers are not in use and are stored correctly with caps tightly closed in a horizontal position.
This question is quite common for users as markers do not usually have expiry dates printed on their labels. Now let us get to the details of each factor.
Table of Contents
Expo Markers: How Long Do They Last?
1. Depending on the marker usage
Some markers could last for ages as long as it is stored properly. In a classroom set-up where markers like dry erase markers are continuously used, it could last up to 2 years given that it is well kept.
Moreover, instances like markers drying out too soon are unavoidable.
Check the FAQs section below on how you can revive Expo markers and how you can make them last longer.
2. Depending on how they are stored
Mostly taken for granted but storage is the culprit or could be the main reason why some Expo markers dry out even though it is still new.
Most markers are stored in receptacles where they are held upright with tips up or down. This storage is fine with pens but if we talk about markers, they should be stored horizontally.
3. Depending on the type of Expo marker
There are two types of Expo markers: dry-erase markers, commonly used for whiteboards, and wet-erase markers, which are best for labeling.
Dry-erase markers were made with an alcohol-based formulation, while wet-erase markers were made with a water-based formulation.
With that, dry-erase markers could be more sensitive to heat and dry out faster.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do you keep Expo markers from drying out?
The ultimate way to keep your markers from drying out is proper storage. Here are some tips on how you can store Expo markers:
- Store them away from direct sunlight.
- Store them on their side or use horizontal storage racks.
- Keep the caps tightly closed.
- To further preserve them, keep them in airtight containers or plastic zipper bags.
If your working area is near a window, don’t store markers within the area. Sun exposure could be the reason why they dry out so quickly.
You can use these tips to store dry erase markers and wet-erase markers from Expo.
Do dry erase pens have an expiration date?
As mentioned, even though there are no definite expiry dates on their labels dry erase pens and markers typically have 2 to 3 years shelf life if they remain unopened and are stored horizontally in a cool dry place.
But once it is opened, dry erase markers last up to two years.
Why is the EXPO marker dry?
There are several reasons why your Expo marker is dried out. It could possibly be:
- Your marker is exposed to direct sunlight.
- You left your Expo markers uncapped.
- Wrong storage position. You might be storing it in canisters vertically while it should be stored on their sides.
- If it is new, it could be a manufacturing defect or old stock. Contact your supplier to get a replacement.
If you think your Expo marker still has juice, then you can try to restore it by keeping the marker tips down for at least 24 hours with the cap tightly closed.
How to bring dry erase markers back to life?
Make dry erase markers work again by following this dry erase marker hack.
- Gather all your dried-out dry erase markers.
- Pour a small alcohol or vinegar into a bowl. Estimate that the level is enough to wet the whole tip.
- Uncap and dip the tip of the marker into the bowl with the liquid.
- Let it sit for a few minutes or until you see the ink is starting to loosen up or coming out of the tip.
- Remove the marker, wipe the excess and return the cap on.
- Leave it overnight with tips-up.
- Test and see it work again.
Are Expo markers washable on clothes?
No, according to Expo they are not washable on clothes and other porous surfaces. However, there are plenty of tricks that you can try.
- Rub the marker stain with Murphy’s oil.
- Soak it with vinegar and water solution.
- Use carpet stain remover or dry cleaning liquid.
- For delicate fabrics, you can use hand sanitizer and a sponge.
After using any of these methods and after ink is removed, wash and rinse clothes like your usual laundry.
How to remove dry erase markers on laminated sheets?
Here are some methods that you can use to remove dry erase markers from laminated sheets:
- Use an all-purpose cleaner like Branch Basic all-purpose cleaner.
- Rub it with a wet magic eraser.
- Dab some alcohol with at least 50% concentration or higher.
After you are done erasing the markings on your laminated sheets you can reuse them as usual. This time avoid using dry erase type.
There are other types of markers that you can use instead of a dry erase marker. Wet erase markers like Vis a Vis from Expo are more compatible with laminated sheets.
To sum it up, Expo markers could not literally last forever. How long do Expo markers last really depends on the user, except for some special cases where the marker is defective from the start.
Moreover, to make the most out of your Expo markers regardless if it’s a dry erase or wet erase type you need to be a mindful user.
Cap it tightly soon as you are done using it and dedicate an area away from direct heat where you can store them horizontally.
Art has always been a part of my life; it influences my upbringing and later my career choice. For me, it is always a part of my parenting technique. So for whichever purpose that you come to art, you can start here with us.