Nature has its exquisite beauty. Examples of these are trees with a variety of colors, sizes, and shapes. Even though we convert these trees to lumber, lumber to different furniture, and probably works of art, we are still left with beauty and awe.
Unsurprisingly, creativity can be seen on different wood preparations with the help of paint. It is not only in the hands of an artist but also in the perseverance of amateurs. Wood spray painting can still be done beautifully with an unlimited selection of beautiful colors from nature.
However, not all spray paint is alike. Each has its uses, vibrancy, texture, and quality. Every type of wood and its texture, on the other hand, has a corresponding spray paint compatibility and needed preparation.
So, you might be intrigued about what is the best spray paint for wood? What will be my buying guide in selecting the best spray paint for outdoor wood surfaces as well as indoors? How do I get to perform a smooth finish on wood with spray paint?
With all your wood projects in mind, the questions never stop. These are only some of the important questions we are going to answer in this comprehensive review. Join us as we review each of the most popular products in the market.
Table of Contents
- Best Spray Paint for Wood Reviews
- 1. Krylon K05150207 ColorMaster Paint
- 2. Rust-Oleum 302592 Chalked Spray Paint
- 3. KILZ L540746 Chalk Spray Paint for Furniture
- 4. Krylon K02744007 Fusion All-In-One Spray Paint
- 5. Rust-Oleum 7590838 Professional Enamel Spray Paint
- 6. Pintyplus Evolution Solvent Based Spray Paint
- 7. Rust-Oleum 245197 Universal Enamel Spray Paint
- 8. Krylon K01000A07 Premium Metallic Spray Paint
- 9. Pintyplus Aqua Spray Paint
- 10. Martha Stewart 42882 Paint & Primer Spray Paint
- 11. Pintyplus Home Spray Paint Gray Moon
- 12. Amy Howard At Home Spray Paint
- What to Look for When Buying Spray Paint for Wood
- Is it Better to Paint or Spray Paint Wood
- Can I Spray Paint Wood Without Sanding
- How Do I Get a Smooth Finish with Spray Paint on Wood
Best Spray Paint for Wood Reviews
1. Krylon K05150207 ColorMaster Paint
Krylon K05150207 ColorMaster Paint + Primer is flat white spray paint for wood and other surfaces. It is prepared in 12 oz and considered one of the best companions for big projects.
If you can easily use this on large-scale jobs, then smaller ones will be much easier to finish satisfactorily. I recommend this paint because it uses a specially patented 360 dial tip that helps you manage your painting process and quality.
You can easily wrap up your painting as near as 6 to 8 inches away from the surface without worrying about runs and drips. This is very important when we need color accuracy and even application.
One major advantage I like about this spray is that pressing the tip is no hassle, saving up to 80% of effort compared to other spray paints. Thus, this reduces finger fatigue, especially if you are working on big projects and wide surfaces.
With the ability to dry up in 10 minutes or less, this spray paint lets you finish your job on time. Aside from that, it is versatile; you can finish your projects indoors or outdoors.
- Uses easy to press tip that eliminates finger fatigue
- No runs and drips
- Provides maximum coverage
- Dries quickly in 10 mins or less
- Best for wood and other surfaces like metal, plastic, glass, and papercrafts
- For indoors and outdoors
- Formulated to give flat color only
2. Rust-Oleum 302592 Chalked Spray Paint
Most wooden furniture and works of art made of wood are best presented with a vintage appearance. Although we have a variety of wood spray paint colors to choose from, neutral colors still give us an awe-inspiring natural beauty.
This is true whenever I use Rust-Oleum 302592 Chalked Spray Paint with its gray and aged gray color. I believe this is one of the best Rustoleum spray paints for wood furniture if you want a classic but fresh-looking finish. Its oil-based formula and excellent adhesion make an ideal product for repainting jobs.
One of the best features I like about this paint is its ability to create a unique look using layering style with other Rust-Oleum Chalked Spray Paints. This can only be possible because of its excellent adhesion.
The quality of this paint is so tough that you can sand it before your next coat. You can also distress the surface for an aged and chippy vintage look, which is suitable for this type of chalky matte finish.
The only thing to remember is the 20-minute drying time for you to be able to make that next coat regardless of whether it is the same color or different colors to create a layering effect.
- One coat coverage
- Dries in 20 minutes
- Excellent adhesion even on a minimally prepared surface
- Can create a vintage appearance on wooden surfaces
- Ideal for distress patterns and style for a vintage look
- Allows sanding before another coat
- Chalky matte finish only with no brilliance or gloss
3. KILZ L540746 Chalk Spray Paint for Furniture
When upcycling, we upgrade older things, especially furniture. This is how I always remember the unique quality of a KILZ L540746 Chalk spray paint for wood crafts.
Its formulation enables the paint to adhere very well, allowing it to serve as a primer for further recoating or other paint coats. If you are looking for an ultra-matte finish, this type is the one to choose.
Apart from that, I like the way it revives old wooden furniture back to its new state with a touch of modern technology, making it more durable.
Every 12 ounces can cover a total of 12 square feet area depending on the preparation of the surface and method of application. It needs 1 hour to dry before you can touch it and another hour to recoat. Not that quick drying but the quality outcome is worth the wait.
What I like the most about this chalk paint is it can be cleaned easily and safely with soap and water. You just have to shake it well enough so that the colorant tint will be mixed before use.
- Ideal for highly detailed objects and design
- Delivers a remarkable matte finish
- Excellent adhesion to most surfaces
- With comfort tip technology to reduce finger fatigue
- Can be safely washed with soap and water after drying
- Takes 2 hours before recoating
4. Krylon K02744007 Fusion All-In-One Spray Paint
This Krylon K02744007 Fusion All-in-One spray paint is on top of the list with 25 square feet coverage in a 12-ounce can. Its adhesion is also remarkable in that it can be used on difficult surfaces without sanding or priming.
Being an all-in-one type of spray, this Krylon spray paint for wood and other surfaces is the kind you keep always handy. If you need a warm and cozy finish to your project, this satin gray color is what I recommend.
Gray is a classic neutral color that is ideal for every do-it-yourself or DIY project. With minor cleaning and no sanding requirements, it will surely adhere to any surface.
So, if you need to paint indoors or outdoors, it is not a problem with this type of Krylon spray paint. I consider it the best outdoor spray paint for wood surfaces and for indoors as well.
In just 20 minutes or even less, it dries and is safe to touch but I recommend an hour before you can safely handle the painted surface. It is also safer to recoat within two hours.
I appreciate the big button spray tip which reduces finger fatigue. I find this beneficial, especially if you are using it to cover a total of 25 square feet.
What if you need to reach difficult or complex areas? No problem at all because you can aim at any angle, spray all over the areas, and provide optimum coverage. Thus, this is truly user-friendly and highly economical.
- Bigger coverage of 25 square feet
- Dries in 20 minutes or less to touch
- Remarkable adhesion on difficult surfaces without sanding
- Durable paint
- All-in-one paint and primer
- Recoating window is 2 hours or after 48 hours
5. Rust-Oleum 7590838 Professional Enamel Spray Paint
There are household spray paints, and there are tough commercial-grade paints. If you need spray paint to withstand various weather conditions, especially tough enamel spray paint on wood surfaces, consider Rust-Oleum Professional High-Performance Enamel Spray Paint.
We always use this high-performance enamel paint on various industrial projects that demand excellent resistance to abrasion, fading, chipping, dulling of the color. This is also true if it is to be used as white spray paint for furniture outdoors.
Spray painting on an industrial level is labor-intensive and critically time-bound. Some household projects are equally demanding, especially for outdoor use. In my experience, this enamel spray gets the job done perfectly.
The spray tip has a high output function and can be sprayed at any angle for maximum control even if you need to spray it upside down. Indeed, it delivers on time and with quality as well as durability.
Furthermore, it exhibits a heavy-duty and industrial-grade quality that can withstand every weather condition. The paint dries in 15 minutes and is ready for a recoat in one hour.
- Heavy-duty and high-performance paint
- Dries in 20 minutes and ready for recoating in an hour
- Provides superior coverage and hiding of uneven surfaces
- Excellent resistance to abrasion, corrosion, and chipping
- Resistance to fading and color dulling
- Can be sprayed at any angle
- Industrial paint formula with high output tip
- A 15-ounce can cover up to 14 square feet only
6. Pintyplus Evolution Solvent Based Spray Paint
You surely agree with me that we need high-quality paint that minimizes messy drips and runs. This is crucial when working on valuable projects, such as wooden furniture or indoor cabinets. So, if you are fastidious with quality output, Pintyplus Evolution Solvent Based Spray Paint is what I recommend.
There are good reasons to trust this product. It provides a smooth, uniform, and glossy finish on wooden surfaces. Aside from that, it is ideal for metal, stone, paper, cardboard, and some plastic objects.
I remember painting irregular and complex items with this spray and amazingly, they turned out great and evenly painted. Because of its smooth spray application, no brush marks or spray marks are noticeable.
Have you encountered or tried using spray paint for wood chairs with spiral and carved designs? Quite challenging if you are to paint up to the smallest detail of the carved design. This spray paint is the perfect one for unusual-shaped projects.
- Smooth spray application
- Gives a uniform finish on any type of surface
- Can cover irregular or unusually-shaped surfaces or objects
- Leaves no brush marks
- Excellent coverage with no runs, no drips, and spray dots
- Can paint on small objects or designs
- Has strong fumes and odor
7. Rust-Oleum 245197 Universal Enamel Spray Paint
Most paint professionals deem that if your paint adheres to plastic and vinyl, then it is also perfect for wood and metal surfaces. I agree with them. This oil-based paint formula has the best adhesion and durability.
But of course, the paint formula plays a crucial role in resisting fading and chipping. Rust-Oleum Universal Enamel Spray Paint meets this standard. It works on almost all surfaces with excellent adhesion and toughness.
One of its primary merits is its formulation. I am impressed by how it can even prevent rust; thus, it can preserve and beautify wooden surfaces. It is highly recommended as a black spray paint for wood.
This spray paint delivers not only the needed durability but also natural beauty. It has a satin finish which provides a low-sheen appearance.
This paint also dries quickly to touch in 30 minutes and covers up to 15 square feet per 12 ounces can. But what makes this product so easy to use?
I enjoy the comfort and ease in using it because of the cap design supported by any-angle spray. Although some may not appreciate it, this feature allows me to paint hard-to-reach areas and narrow curves.
The comfortable grip trigger is also what I like about this spray paint. Continuous spraying is easy with no finger fatigue. It is like using an electric spray gun.
- Provides excellent adhesion in all surfaces
- Durable and lasts long
- Highlights its any-angle spray feature
- Eliminates finger fatigue due to comfortable trigger design
- Can paint hard-to-reach area with narrow cap design
- UV resistant
- The sprayer may sometimes leak or clog
8. Krylon K01000A07 Premium Metallic Spray Paint
If you are contemplating what spray paint to use on wood, you might consider metallic spray paint to upcycle your furniture or artwork. Besides, any wood surface transformed to a metallic appearance looks cool and upgraded.
Whenever I come across such ideas or projects, I always choose Krylon Premium Metallic Spray Paint to complete the job.
It features a deep lustrous finish, which is something I do not see every day. It has a very smooth and high gloss metallic finish that looks like a real golden metallic plating.
A touch of 18 karat gold in an object, furniture, or craft adds sophistication and style. This is exactly why I love this Krylon paint: it can revamp your projects and surfaces with elegant features.
It only takes 10 minutes to dry so you can immediately see the effect on your project and finish the job on time. Two hours to dry before you can hold it.
Moreover, an 8-ounce can cover up to 20 square feet. With just a few tweaks and painting jobs, you can quickly give your projects the sophisticated transformation they need.
One more thing, I like how it sprays and covers areas without any trouble. Hence, this allows me to finish the job in no time and evenly distribute the paint without ink blotches.
Just some heads up, this product has a strong and unpleasant odor although it is non-toxic. Therefore, it is best to spray it outdoors in a highly ventilated space to avoid dizziness and headache.
- It gives off a realistic 18K gold color
- Provides a wider coverage of 20 square feet for an 8-ounce can
- Quick-drying; Safe to touch in 10 minutes
- Leaves an elegant sheen and color
- Sprays continuously for even applications
- Requires ideal temperature of 50 to 85 degrees and humidity is below 85% to achieve best results
- Has a very strong odor
9. Pintyplus Aqua Spray Paint
You can start your creative masterpiece with the right tools and products. With that being said, the perfect product for the job is a Pintyplus Aqua spray paint. If you are working on multiple repainting jobs, I bet these 8 4.2-ounce water-based spray paints are more than enough.
Since Pintyplus offers different sets of colors, you can mix and play with the shades, and perhaps, you will find your furniture spray paint colors from this set. They all provide excellent opacity and maximum hiding power, concealing imperfections and other surface issues.
After applying the first layer, you can repaint or add more almost instantly without worrying about uneven applications and paint spills. Then, this spray paint leaves a beautiful matte finish that gives off a polished and neat appearance, warding off brush marks and drips.
When it comes to performance, one of the best features I love is that these work well on low pressure, which translates to less overspray and messy spills or runs.
Honestly, I was skeptical about this feature but, surprisingly, it still gets the job done. I notice that the colors look more vivid and pigmented.
You can simply press the sprayer without difficulty and target complex projects that need quick and even application. You can even use it at different angles or upside down to reach other areas for full coverage.
- Delivers excellent opacity and coverage
- Leaves a beautiful matte finish
- Works on low pressure to prevent spills and drips
- Smooth finishes eliminate brush marks and drips
- Comes in different shades for a colorful variation
- Easy to use; Can be used on multiple angles
- Has a mild unpleasant smell
10. Martha Stewart 42882 Paint & Primer Spray Paint
Durable spray paint for wood is usually a formula of paint and primer in one. We can expect excellent adhesion on this type of formulation. This is what I like with Martha Stewart Paint & Primer Spray Paint.
Its formulation delivers a tough finish with maximum coverage in an 8-ounce can. While it seems small, it delivers very satisfying results. Furthermore, it boasts versatile formulation that can provide permanent paint and primer on multiple surfaces.
Although I usually work on wooden surfaces, it is nice to know that it is also compatible with metal and plastics. With just a few sprays, it can leave brilliant colors and a smooth appearance. Not to mention its gloss finish that ramps up the surface with a stunning sheen.
I tried the Camellia pink shade but if you want to try out other shades, this brand offers an extensive array of colors. This allows you to paint with your favorite hues; thus, enables endless creative works with a variety of colors.
I did not have any problem with the nozzles as they are easy to use. One press does the trick and covers wide areas with no trouble. Plus, it does not leave spills and drips.
Moreover, the fast-drying process is an advantage to easily determine whether it needs recoating or not. This one dries fast and is safe to touch in 10 minutes although it completely cures in 24 hours.
- Dries quickly in 10 minutes
- Offers paint and primer formulation for versatility and durability
- Excellent adhesion on most surfaces
- Sprays easily for continuous and even applications
- Does not leave messy drips or spills
- Leaves a glossy finish for a beautiful sheen
- Gives off an awful chemical odor
11. Pintyplus Home Spray Paint Gray Moon
Pintyplus Home Spray Gray Moon can easily upgrade your home project to a work of art in the safest way possible. If you are aiming to refurbish your favorite dining chairs, this is the safest spray paint for wood chairs.
Working indoors is critical when you are using spray paints with strong fumes and odors. Having ample ventilation is also a must. But for this type of home spray, minimal ventilation is sufficient.
VOC or volatile organic compounds are solvents released by spray paints while it dries. A lot of it in an enclosed space is harmful to your health and the environment. Impressively, this product has done a great job in reducing its VOC content to the safest level without compromising its durability and paint quality.
As it improves aesthetic features, this spray paint amazingly conceals the surface, leaving no paint blotches and uneven applications. I tried painting indoor wooden cabinets, and it worked perfectly well with maximum coverage.
This type of home spray comes in two 400 ml cans just enough to complete painting jobs on time. Very ideal for indoor use but also great for outdoor surfaces and projects due to its low-odor formula. It dries in an hour but repainting can be done after 30 minutes.
Concerned about painting errors and adjustments? No need to worry because soap and water is enough to wash it off within 15 mins before it dries completely. That is the advantage of a water-based formula.
- Low in volatile organic compounds (VOC) that promotes safety
- Water-based formula for easy cleaning and adjustments
- Low odor and great for indoor projects
- Comes in two cans for uniform color to complete every job
- Great for revamping vintage and classic wood surfaces
- The nozzle does not work properly sometimes
12. Amy Howard At Home Spray Paint
Among neutral colors, black spray paint is the most popular and useful. It is one of the best spray paints for outdoor wood surfaces. Amy Howard At Home Spray Paint black color is what I prefer in terms of spray paint for wood outdoors. But of course, this type can also be used indoors.
Besides the elegant black color, this spray paint highlights its compatibility with other surfaces. It works on ceramic, glass, metal, and masonry as well.
When it comes to its paint quality, I must say that the thick glossy finish gives off a sophisticated look. Plus, the thick paint serves as a durable coat that withstands outdoor conditions.
What is more interesting is that you can still sand this glossy surface to achieve a higher gloss. In my experience, some brands do not allow that.
This makes the paint workable. I also like how you can add layers or enhance the mirror finish according to your preference. Just remember that it requires 2 hours to dry completely.
The nozzle works well when lightly pressed. It sprays easily and releases smooth and even paint that covers surfaces without a hitch. Moreover, this 12-ounce spray paint can cover areas up to 60 square feet!
- Delivers high glossy finish
- Offers a coverage of 60 square feet per 12 ounces can
- Has excellent adhesion on most surfaces especially wood
- Releases a thick coat per spray
- Provides a durable coat that can withstand outdoor conditions
- Has strong fumes
What to Look for When Buying Spray Paint for Wood
Spray Paint Compatibility & Suitability
Then, what is the best spray paint for wood? Always read the labels to check if the spray paint that you are going to purchase suits the type of surface you need to paint. Curing time is also a big consideration for you to estimate your repainting or recoating intervals.
There are spray paint formulas that can be used directly on the surface while other formulations can be used only on well-prepared surfaces. Being aware of this will save you time and money.
Spray Painting Comfortability
Spray painting quality highly depends on comfortability with the application method being used. The can should not be too heavy and the finger pad should be comfortable enough. There are spray paints with spray trigger attachment and ergonomically designed nozzles for easy spraying.
Every spray painting project has its cost. Expensive spray paints do not always mean the best quality results. Even budget-friendly and cheap spray paints can accomplish a task if comfortability and compatibility were not compromised.
Do not just check the price, also check for reviews and instructions for proper use.
Is it Better to Paint or Spray Paint Wood
Painting your wooden project with a paintbrush may look less expensive than using spray paint. However, using spray paint is faster, more beautiful, and lasts longer if the surface preparation is well managed or executed. With these factors in mind, spray painting will be more practical.
Can I Spray Paint Wood Without Sanding
The real honest answer is, it depends. If your wooden furniture or surface is not damaged, not chipping, or does not need color change, then go ahead with spray paint after cleaning it well. If the surface is clean and just needs retouching, sanding is not required.
However, if the wooden furniture or wood surface is already old, damaged, or chipping, a well-sanded surface will give you a smooth painting result. Sanding the wood surface enables the paint to adhere strongly, smoothly, and leaves a more glossy effect.
How Do I Get a Smooth Finish with Spray Paint on Wood
Surface preparation is always at the top of the list when it comes to a smooth finish using good spray paint for wood. Compatibility comes next. If your wood surface is smooth then cleaning the surface is very vital. Consider these steps:
- Make sure to remove all dirt, dust, and oils from the surface.
- Sand the surface again while gradually shifting to the finest sandpaper to finally smoothen the surface before spray painting.
- After every surface preparation, make sure you have the compatible paint for the project. Being able to clearly define the use and weather exposure of the painting surface will determine the type of paint to use.
- Finally, carefully follow the manufacturer’s instructions in terms of drying time, the number of coats, and area coverage per can.
Being able to identify the best spray paint for wood in the market today is not an easy task but quality reviews will help you make that decision. It is important to know the advantages and disadvantages of these products to meet your required suitability, comfortability, and budget.
So, the next time you visit your home depot whether in the US, the UK, or wherever you are, you will now be able to choose wisely and complete your spray painting on wood more enjoyably and satisfactorily.
I am a former art teacher, so it is evident to me the importance of art in educating the new generation. We also want to help parents who plan to teach their children and desire the best tools and tips for them.